Achard Légumes Recipe (Vegetables Achard/Pickle)

This is by far one of my favorite side dishes!
It's so healthy because you will definately get your serves of veggies in this one, it is super flavourful and tasty, so quick and easy to make, very economical and last for a while. And of course is a very well loved and familiar taste from Mauritius! 
Nothing beats my mum's 'Achard légumes' but this is as close as one can get, and thus making this side dish a real winner for me!!


For this recipe you will need:
- 250g white cabbage
- 250g carrots
- 250g green beans
- 250g caulifower
- 2 large onions
- 4 large red or green chillies
- 10 cloves garlic

- 2 tbsp black mustard seeds
- 180ml vegetable oil (but I always used less)
- Salt to taste

The 'Achard Légumes' is quite easy to make, the only part that takes a while is all the cleaning, peeling and cutting of the vegetables, but if you have little helpers in the kitchen like me your work will be done quicker while doubling the fun!

To prepare the Achard Légumes, you need to wash and peel your vegetables, then julienne the carrots, cabbage, green beans and cauliflower and set aside.
Heat vegetable oil in a large pan and sweat the garlic. Add the onions, mustard seeds and chillies and cooked until onions are softened. Add the vegetables and mix well. Let it cook until vegetables are softened, but still crunchy. Add salt to taste.















This makes a lot of 'Achard Legumes'.  You can serve your Achard Legumes as a side dish to your rice & curry dishes. The remaining achard keeps well in the fridge for a while. (Mine didn't last long, because I ate it everyday at every meal.)


post signature 

2 comments:

sandra said...

I heard you can use grainy mustard, have you tried it that way? My husband is Mauritian and this is what I miss most, the flavours!

steinsa said...

We always also add one tablespoon of curcuma, my ex- wife is Mauritian.
P